1. News & Issues

Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, Killed by Stingray

By September 4, 2006

Steve Irwin, the popular Australian film and television personality, environmentalist and animal rights advocate--known to millions of fans worldwide as The Crocodile Hunter--was killed Monday after being stung in the chest by a stingray. The incident occurred during a diving expedition while Irwin was filming an underwater documentary near the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44 years old.

Photo © Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Technorati tags:

Irwin collapsed at Batt Reef, Low Isle, near the resort town of Port Douglas in Queensland, Australia at approximately 11 a.m. local time, according to a statement issued by the Queensland Police Service. Crew members aboard Irwin's boat, Croc One, called emergency services and performed CPR on Irwin as they rushed him by boat to the nearest town. An emergency helicopter was dispatched as soon as Irwin's crew called for medical treatment, but Irwin was pronounced dead at the scene.

Irwin owned and operated the Australia Zoo in Queensland, which he expanded and renamed after taking over the business from his parents, naturalists Lyn and Bob Irwin. He was famous worldwide for his enthusiastic trademark cry of "Crikey!" and his passion for wildlife, which were showcased in feature films and a hit television series, The Crocodile Hunter, that aired internationally on the Discovery Channel.

Stingrays have wide flat bodies that look almost like wings as they swim gracefully through the water. They have spiny, serrated tails that contain venom and can inflict painful injuries, but stingrays are usually not aggressive and the wounds they inflict are rarely fatal to humans. It is believed that Irwin either suffered a form of cardiac arrest as a result of the puncture wound to his chest, or that the bayonet-like barb of the stingray actually pierced his heart. The exact details will not be known until an autopsy is performed.

Irwin is survived by his wife and co-star, Terri, an American from Eugene, Oregon, their daughter Bindi Sue, who is 8 years old, and their 2-year-old son Bob.

Read the Profile of Steve Irwin

Selected media coverage:
Stingray Kills Steve Irwin -- Sydney Daily Telegraph
'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin dies -- Associated Press and MSNBC
Anatomy of a Deadly Attack -- Sydney Daily Telegraph
Death as Perplexing as Fame -- News.com.au
Irwin's last minutes of struggle caught on tape -- USA Today

Elsewhere on About:
Interview with Steve and Terri Irwin -- About Hollywood Movies
Steve and Terri Irwin Marriage Profile -- About Marriage

Comments

September 4, 2006 at 11:59 am
(1) sandi schaffer says:

I am a blind fan, and was always grateful to Steve because he verbalized so well, I felt like I could see it all. My deepest sympathys to you all. I can not imagine your pain. If possible, be comforted that he was so in love with his family and friends, and creatures, and was so good about letting all of us out here know it. My prayers are with you all.
Sandi, a Minnesota blind fan.

September 4, 2006 at 1:32 pm
(2) K & K Trevino says:

Hearing of Steve Irwin’s death is more than tragic, he has been a part of lives and families through his educational series and bold adventures. All the adventure and journeys we could never experience ourselves, but wished we could, he fulfilled those dreams vicariously. He will be remembered and truly missed. Our condolences and prayers to his family, may God be with you.

September 4, 2006 at 3:00 pm
(3) lisa belfast says:

i am so sorry to hear of the death of steve irwin my heart is with his wife and children god bless you all

September 4, 2006 at 3:46 pm
(4) Amy Marie FT WORTH,TEXAS USA says:

:( You will forever be cherished in the hearts and minds of many. We enjoyed learning about marine life thru you and terri and will miss you plenty. Thanks for the memories, and see you on the flip side! Best Regards, SharkieB Ft Worth,TX

September 4, 2006 at 4:07 pm
(5) Lisa Howes - Syracuse, NY says:

I learned so much watching all of Steve’s shows. He was a great hero of mine due to all the work he has done over the years saving endangered species and teach the world that compassion was not dead. It is a sad day in deed to learn that Steve Irwin has died, but I hope his legacy lives on and teaches new generations to come. Rest in Peace Steve, you will be greatly missed!!

September 4, 2006 at 7:02 pm
(6) VatsaL says:

The world has lost a gem. A precious gem which will never return again. I ask, why o why do great men die at an early age? why? I pray may his soul get all the peace in the world. The only guy I have ever seen to be so fascinated by wildlife. It all came as a big shock to me. May God bless him.

Aum

September 4, 2006 at 7:17 pm
(7) AJ says:

You will be so missed. I loved your adventure and passion for life. My kids loved to watch your shows. My prayers go out to Terri and your children. You have lived more in your 44 years than some people will their entire lives. RIP Steve

September 4, 2006 at 7:36 pm
(8) mom of 4 boys says:

We are so sad to hear of the tragic death of “The Crocodile Hunter” he was greatly loved in our household, we went to see his movie in the theater, bought it on DVD. What a great human being, what a great loss for all of us.

September 4, 2006 at 8:07 pm
(9) Rachel Halifax England says:

September 5, 2006 at 1:08 am
(10) Nathan says:

When I go I hope it is while I am doing something I enjoy like steve. Feeling the urge to pop in his movie. .

September 5, 2006 at 2:04 am
(11) bananas says:

We all lost a passionate ally.

September 5, 2006 at 2:05 am
(12) bananas says:

Btw, this is a very interesting site. I hope you won’t mind me adding u up in my links.

thanks

September 5, 2006 at 3:39 am
(13) José says:

September 5, 2006 at 5:05 am
(14) lisbeth says:

I am so sorry to hear of the death of steve Irwin. I loved his talk about the animals.God bless you Terri and your children..

September 5, 2006 at 9:09 am
(15) Jade says:

The only thing left to do is make sure his work does not go to waste.

The onus is on us to ensure what he fought for is carried on.

September 5, 2006 at 4:28 pm
(16) Carol says:

I, like most people are shocked and saddened by the death of a truely great man. Any man who loved crocs the way he did is a hero in my book. Terri, Bindi, Sam I will pray for you and your loved ones and for Steves safe passage. May god bless and keep you. Carol

September 5, 2006 at 5:43 pm
(17) david says:

Im also sorry to hear of the death of steve Irwin my heart is with his wife and children god bless you all. i love animals to we will miss u alot

September 5, 2006 at 5:50 pm
(18) from quad citiy,davenport,iowa david says:

we will miss u alot good luck.i love his shows. RIP Steve. Australia has lost a great guy. the guy i believe made australia as popular as it is now. I broke down and cried once i heard the news my heart goes out to Terry his wife and 2 children Bindi and Bob the world will never be the same again with out “the crocidile hunter” the entire worlds is behind you. RIP Steve “The Crocidile Hunter” Irwin.

September 5, 2006 at 7:22 pm
(19) mary says:

I am so sorry for the loss of Steve amost wonderful man.MY heart and prayers go out to his wife children family and friends.Goodbye Mate!!

September 12, 2006 at 2:31 pm
(20) Peter says:

We will miss you Steve. God bless you.
See this website