1. News & Issues

Common Household Chemicals Linked to Cancer

By February 21, 2007

polarbear.jpg Fluorinated polymers may not be a household name, but they show up in a lot of household products—from microwave popcorn bags and fast-food wrappers to stain-free carpets and windshield washer fluid. Unfortunately, they are also showing up in the blood of animals and human beings all over the world after degrading to become a group of toxic chemicals called perfluorocarboxylates (PFCAs).
Photo courtesy of Luis C. Tejo

Scientists Baffled by Rapid Spread of PFCAs
Scientists now believe that the environmental and health risks posed by PFCAs may equal or even exceed those from PCB and DDT—but they don’t know how the compounds are spreading so quickly.

Heavy concentrations of fluorinated polymers have been found in the blood of seals and polar bears in the Arctic, far from any possible industrial source. Concentrations in seals are doubling every five years, a phenomenal rate, according to Scott Mabury, a scientist at the University of Toronto.

PFCAs: Pervasive and Persistent
PFCAs have been linked to cancer and other developmental effects in animal experiments, and the toxic chemicals are becoming increasingly pervasive. PFCAs are often detected in the air and household dust, and scientists believe they will remain in the soil and elsewhere for hundreds of years.

Despite the emerging risks of PFCAs, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is still debating how to classify the chemicals in terms of their relationship to cancer in humans.

Meanwhile, scientists continue to debate how the chemicals are reaching the Arctic and other far-flung locations. While some researchers believe that ocean currents are responsible for spreading PFCAs, Mabury and others disagree.

"It has to be spread by the atmosphere,” Mabury told The Toronto Star. “It would take decades for these chemicals to reach the Arctic through the oceans."

Comments

February 25, 2007 at 3:00 am
(1) dan says:

Hi, it discusts me what the human race is doing to this earth. I would like to thank yourself and anyone like you for making an effort to make these issues public, corprte greed and the way industry is run are destroying all we have!

July 15, 2011 at 8:25 pm
(2) Elaine says:

I believe products were purchased by manufactures to optimize: ease of obtaining materials for manufacturing, cost of these materials, cost of man hours & demand from the public. Safety & risk of material used was not factored into the process, only PROFITS & THE STOCK MARKET. Now because of the USA’S standards for safety, retirement & cost of living all of our Textiles are over seas. In the 60′s our exports exceeded 60%, which meant we controlled our money. I believe GREED $$$ has put us where we are today. I read a warning- DO NOT BUY AMERICAN – Why because we are so deeply in debt to other countries.

March 1, 2007 at 10:30 am
(3) jennifer says:

i hate what is happening

September 18, 2008 at 3:26 am
(4) Sylvia Ember says:

Cancer has increased by more than 100% over last few years. Too many carcinogens around! We must insist on detailed information on labels of all products, edible and non-edible. Warnings such as on sigaret cartons must be visible so that we can make informed choices regarding our health

October 7, 2008 at 3:22 pm
(5) greyhounds says:

im bored in class…

March 27, 2009 at 2:47 pm
(6) crewcraw says:

me too…

June 1, 2009 at 1:15 am
(7) kdhans says:

CARCINOGENS cover the entire WORLD! Asbestos is NOT A GOOD thing, however, if proper insulating is performed correctly there is NO DIFFICULTY what soever, HOWEVER, NEVER ALLOW any person to actually WALLOW IN THE STUFF!…..It can damage lung tissue..so simply STAY AWAY from it! FOR ALWAYS AND EVER! SIMPY STAY AWAY…and make certain that IT IS CONTAINED!…and that there are NO LEAKS whatsoever!

kdh

June 23, 2009 at 12:07 pm
(8) jake says:

well i have just a few comments.
Dan Corporate not corprte. Sylvia ember wheres the proof that cancer has increased by 100% over the last few years, show me the numbers! also what information would you want on labels? Cigarette is spelled with a c not sigaret. Kdhans you must know somthing that the rest of the world dosent if you know of somthing that will contain something for ever without leaks everything corrodes eventually. Anything can cause cancer so i suppose everthing should be avoided including the sun.the only two comments on this article are thed ones about being bored in class the others are just verbal diarrhoea from people talking out through their backsides.

August 8, 2009 at 3:57 pm
(9) Jakes dad says:

hey jake-off shut the hell up….your mom and I didn’t raise ya very well but your missing the big point here. Spelling tips,grammer and % is not the important factor here. You getting your head out of arse is.

February 21, 2010 at 6:47 pm
(10) Candy says:

I’m sad. I breath air, drink water all full of toxins.
Food full of toxins, soils veggies gown in not even good dispite toxins put on them to look good/pretty.
I am suprised I’m as healthy as I am, or think I am anyways. FDA, CDC everyone is ‘bought’. A cure for cancer has been found that would work for many cancer pts, but guess what… the treatment would be natural therefore cheap, (not made by pharm. companys making Billions), so they SHUT THAT PERSON UP $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

May 13, 2010 at 4:52 pm
(11) J says:

Despite the claims of cancer increasing and what may or may not be in our food or water that we don’t want to ingest. We (humans) are destroying the planet. You want proof? Look around yourself. Go to a factory that dumps its waste in a river, or something similar. It happens every day in many places. I’m sure it won’t be hard to find one near you if you did some research. Or the mass pollution so many people cause, such as driving your car needlessly all day, or burning things that shouldn’t be, like rubber.

We need to change. We can’t keep ignoring this problem, hoping it won’t have any long term effects, or that someone else will find a solution. If we dont change now, it may be to late for Planet Earth. Do you want your kids to die from our generations mistakes? It can and will happen if we keep going down this path.

November 11, 2011 at 11:23 pm
(12) UNKNOWN says:

AHEM, BROTHER. YOU ARE TELLING THE TRUTH. I HAVE WORKED IN THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY FOR SEVERAL OF MY LIFE AND I HAVE SEEN IT ALL. I HAVE SEEN PAYOFFS MADE FOR THE WASTE THEY DUMPED AND WERE ALLOWED TO DUMP INTO THE TENNESSEE RIVER RIGHT HERE IN CHATTANOOGA TENNESSEE. IT MADE ME SICK. THAT IS WHY PEOPLE ARE GETTING CANCER MORE AND MORE. IT IS STILL GOING ON. I GOT SO FED UP I QUIT A GOOD PAYING JOB FOR A SINGLE MOM TRYING TO RAISE A CHILD. PEOPLE NEED TO SPEAK UP. DO SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING. I DID, AND I HAD TO SUFFER FOR IT. I WAS AN OUTCAST FOR DOING SO, BUT TO THIS DAY I WOULD DO IT OVER. FOLKS ARE SO NAIVE BELIEVE EVERYONE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. THERE IS SO MUCH LYING AND CORRUPTION FOR GREED AND THE EASY WAY OUT.

June 29, 2010 at 11:57 am
(13) Venu Nair says:

Dear Mr. Larry West,
I am a film maker from India and I am a regular visitor of your web site. Certainly it gives me lots materials for films related to environment.
thanks a lot
Venu Nair

October 13, 2011 at 1:41 pm
(14) g says:

These big corperations are planning their own demise aswell as ours.